Jane of all trades

Lover of life. Enjoy coffee and good conversation. Some people say I am funny. Sometimes talk too much. willing to try new things, though this is a new characteristic discovered recently.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tying shoes/ No problem

I have a few children as you all know. I know a lot, I've read a lot of books and I thought I was doing pretty well until someone noticed my 8yo can not tie his own shoes. (Never would have happened if he had come to me), any who he asked someone to tie his shoes and they could not believe he could not do this simple task himself. When it was brought to my attention I simply stated "It is easier to do it myself, I do not have time, I've tried to show him how to do it" and, well you get the picture. I was a little embarrassed, as a parent I have always done a great job, lol, and whats the big deal anyway, yes he does need to learn to tie, I will not be able to go to college with him and Velcro is not an option. My friend gave me a great book called Red Lace Yellow Lace. I hope it works. He is a visual learner and the book is colorful and very detailed. We will work on this everyday. I got to thinkin, Who taught the last three how to tie their shoes? I realized it was not me it was day care. Oh my goodness, how could I have missed such an opportunity? Am I a horrible parent?, Nah just busy. I am glad I get to be the one to show the last two. Yes it is a big deal. I missed it with the first three and did not even realize I could not remember when they started tying their own shoes. Well I'll keep you posted.

No comments: