Jane of all trades

Lover of life. Enjoy coffee and good conversation. Some people say I am funny. Sometimes talk too much. willing to try new things, though this is a new characteristic discovered recently.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Love my JOB

This week has been a week of firsts. I had the daunting task of fixing the large door to the sanctuary. From the years of use and abuse the door closer finally broke lose. It pulled screws and all out of the top of the door so not only did I have to fix that but I had to think of a way to prevent it from happening again.
  • Wood putty, that will work NOT. I tried it let it sit 24 hours, replaced the hardware, closed the door and Ta-DA! it did NOT work:(
  • Back at the drawing board. Go to web site for door fixing, Yes there is one. Got instructions
  • Go to hardware store for supplies including a new drill bit for masonry. They did not have the size bit I needed but sent me to tools plus...They had it.
  • filled the hole with wood filler, not putty let sit another 24 hours.
  • to prevent this from happening again I surmised door stoppers might help by keeping the door closer from over extending thus putting less pressure on the screws and keeping everything in place.
  • After putting the wood filler in the hole I went ahead and placed the anchors in the wet filler so it could all become one unit. Imagine unity making it stronger.
  • Drilling concrete intimidated me a little. The gentleman at the store said to use this bit I would need at least 1000 rpm. I do not know how fast that is and do not have any way to tell if I am at 1000 so I give it a whirl.(whats the worst that could happen?)
  • Carpet is on the floor, should I drill through it or cut out a square? I opt to cut out a small square, easier said than done.
  • The carpet is permanently part of the floor soooooo after cutting the square and being unsuccessful at pulling it out through the carpet we go......NO Problem:)
  • Now all is back together and you can barely tell the door was ever busted yeah me:)
  • Long story I know but as I have always said....WITH GOD I CAN DO ANYTHING!